Monday, October 25, 2010

Skillet Ziti

I have a new Colorado friend and her name is Deb.  I found her on my friend Stacey's blog when she was blogging about being a neat freak.  Deb's comment made me fall in love with her because she is a lot like me.

She posted this recipe a few weeks ago and I've been very excited to try it because it seemed easy but better than just pasta and sauce.

My entire family loved this dish and it's something I could easily make for my extended family too.  Throw a salad and some garlic bread on the plate with it and it's an almost gourmet meal!



Skillet Ziti
adapted from America's Test Kitchen and Deb at Not Inadequate


1 tablespoon oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 28-ounce can water
12 ounces dried tube pasta
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk (or cream)
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese



This recipe needs to be cooked in an oven-proof skillet that is at least 11″ in diameter.

Preheat oven to 425°

To a cold skillet, add oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook on medium about one minute, until fragrant. Then add tomatoes, 1 can of water, pasta, and salt. Turn heat up to high and bring to a simmer. 

Cover and reduce heat and continue to cook at a simmer.

Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is done. When the pasta is done, stir in milk and parmesan cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese. Transfer skillet to the oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment