Saturday, October 9, 2010

Corn Chowder with Chilies

My brother in law Andrew invited us to dinner tonight. I sent him a text message and asked if there was anything I could bring. He said yes and sent a list:

  • hamburger
  • hot dogs
  • a starch

Wow...I guess I'M buying dinner!

I sent another text and asked which members of the family were going to be attending. He told me to plan for 9 people. I then asked if he had buns? Nope.

Yesterday, Ree told me to make this fabulous chowder and since I do everything Ree tells me too....I thought it would go great with our burgers since the temps finally cooled off here in Colorado. Did you see on the news? Our mountains got their first snow of the season.

So...I whipped this up in my little apartment kitchen and I'm taking it to my in laws house. I hope they like it....I'll let you know.

By the way....I ate a whole bowl of it right after I cooked it and it's so yummy and perfect for fall.  I think I'll be making this a lot this winter.


Corn Chowder with Chilies
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

3 slices Bacon, Cut Into 1/2-inch Pieces
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Yellow Onion, Diced
4 Cups Corn
1 1/2  whole Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce, Finely Diced
1 whole 4-ounce Can Diced Green Chilies
32 ounces, fluid Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1-½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt (more To Taste)
3 Tablespoons Corn Meal OR Masa
¼ cups Water


Add bacon pieces to a pot over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes. Throw in diced onion and stir, cooking the onion for  4 minutes. Add butter and melt. Add corn. Stir and cook for one minute. Add both kinds of chilies and stir.

Pour in chicken broth and cream. Add salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.

Combine cornmeal (or masa) with water. Stir to combine, then pour into the chowder. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over low heat. If chowder needs more thickening, add another tablespoon of cornmeal mixed with water. Cook for another ten minutes.

Serve with crusty sourdough bread or in a bread bowl with a dry Riesling.  Fabulous!

1 comment: