Monday, May 9, 2011

What I'm Eating for Breakfast

My husband and I are following the 20 years younger plan....mostly.  I've had to adjust the plan slightly for my husband because he just can't eat all of this fruit. Twice a day...is too much for him.

He also loves sandwiches.

But today....I'm going to talk about breakfast.  iKeith was already a big fan of Steel Cut Oats.  Except that he likes his plain without fruit or honey and mostly undercooked.  He's an odd ball....he fully admits it.

I had never had the oats until last week.  I've made them for my husband for years but never tried them.  I like cereal but.... I love these oats!! YUM!



Connie's Steel Cut Oats

3 cups of water
1 cup of Steel Cut Oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 apple, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons of golden raisins
1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon

 Bring water and salt to a boil, add the oats.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and Cook for 15 minutes.  Add the apple, honey and cinnamon.  Cook for 10 more minutes.  Add raisins and walnuts.  Take off from heat and put into a container with a lid.

You now  have enough breakfast for 4 days.

To serve, slice off a chunk, stir in milk or soy milk and re-heat.  Eat with a side of fruit.

***************************************************************

Twice a week....I like to have eggs. I'm not a fan of egg whites and until the doctor tells me that I have high cholesterol and I have to cut back...then I'm going to keep eating yolks.  If you have issues...then by all means, cut out a yolk or two.


Spinach Scramble with Feta

2 eggs
1/2 cup baby Spinach
2 tablespoons Red Onion, chopped
2 tablespoons Feta Cheese

Heat pan over medium heat and add a smidge of olive oil or use cooking spray. Cook red onions for about 90 seconds until they get soft, add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about another minute.  Add your beaten eggs and cook until done.  Add feta in the last few seconds so that it can melt a little bit.

Serve with a side of fruit.

I'll be posting new recipes all week! 

1 comment:

  1. I use to be an instant quaker oat girl until last year. I was so afraid of oatmeal but now I can't get enough!!! The eggs look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete