Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Black Bean Salad

I made a number of new recipes last week from the book. When I read through the recipe section I knew immediately that some of the recipes were not for us.  We aren't smoothie people and my husband didn't know there was any other kind of butter other than peanut.

I may try them down the road....but for now I stuck with stuff he's familiar with.  This week, I'm making the same recipes...but tweaking them ever so slightly.  Because that's what I do.

This recipe takes about 10 minutes to put together.  You can use canned beans or make them yourself from a bag of dried ones.  They are really easy to make if you have time....and have less chemicals and other crap you don't need.  One bag made three meals for us and you can just throw them in a freezer bag in the portion size you need.



Black Bean Salad
adapted from 20 Years Younger

4 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups black beans
2 cups diced cucumber
1/4 cup diced red onion
1 avocado, diced
1 small jalapeno, diced small
Juice of one lime
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir.  

Makes 4 adult and 1 child size serving.  Serve with a piece of whole wheat bread and a teaspoon of olive oil, and fruit.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 253
Carbs: 34g
Fat: 10g
Protein: 11g
Fiber: 14g
Sodium: 298

No comments:

Post a Comment