Saturday, May 28, 2011

Salted Toffee Chocolate Bars

I'm headed to my hometown of Greeley today for a party with two of my oldest friends. They've stuck with me through thick and thin for almost 20 years! When I left this cow town for the big city 11 years ago...I had a bit of a reputation for being a Martha Stewart type.

I can't let them know that I've gotten lazy....or that my Martha Stewart Living Subscription has lapsed.

Luckily...I had this recipe sitting in my in box from several months ago and since iKeith won't let me make desserts anymore, I thought it was perfect!

I'll let you know how everyone liked them and post more pictures later.  So far....I've just licked the pizza cutter and it tastes amazing!



Salted Toffee Chocolate Bars
adapted from Martha Stewart

13 graham crackers
1 bag (8 ounces) toffee bits
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted natural almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3/4 cup (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Preheat oven to 350. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place 13 graham crackers in a single layer on sheet, edges touching. Spread toffee bits and almonds over the graham crackers.

In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat slightly and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, 2 minutes. Pour over graham crackers.

Bake until the sugar topping is bubbling for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate and salt over graham crackers. With a pizza cutter, cut into 2-inch squares. Pull the tin foil out of the pan and let cool completely on the counter or a wire rack. They say that you can store these in an airtight container for up to a week...but I don't think they'll last that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment