Friday, March 4, 2011

Shrimp Cocktail and Quesadillas

My family loves movies and I try to see as many of them as I can before the awards shows start.  This year I didn't see as many as I'd like because my in laws moved away to California and therefore...so did my free babysitter.

But I love watching the Globes and the Oscars! And I love to prepare food for the events.  If I had more friends, I'd throw a watching party.  Maybe next year.

My daugther loves to help me in the kitchen and she made the 5 layer dip all by herself.  She peeled the avocados, smashed them and layered the ingredients into plastic martini glasses that I found at Party City.


I also made The Pioneer Woman's Quesadillas de Camarones and they were a huge hit...although I said a few cuss words when I tried to flip the quesadillas and the filling went flying. I think I didn't use enough cheese.  I used the left over filling in soft tacos later in the week and I think this is how we'll serve them from now on. YUM!

Quesadillas de Camarones
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Flour Tortillas
12 whole large shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 ounces, fluid Mexican Red Sauce (Jalapeno Salsa)
1 Red Onion, sliced
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
1 Green Bell Pepper, Sliced
2 jalapenos, sliced (leave seeds in if you like spicy)
2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Colby Cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Slice the veggies into strips and cook in a large skillet over high heat with olive oil.  Cook until the veggies soften and start to turn black on the edges. Remove to a plate.

Return skillet to high heat and add the shrimp and sauce.  Cook, stirring occasionally until the shrimp is pink.  Remove the shrimp to a cutting board and chop into bite sized pieces.

In a separate skillet, heat a tablespoon of butter, place tortilla in the skillet and then start adding ingredients.  Start with the cheese, then veggies and shrimp...top with more cheese and a second tortilla.  Cook both sides, being VERY careful and possibly using two spatulas and a crane to turn.   Remove from the skillet and cut into wedges. 

****

The other item I made was a Shrimp-Tomatillo Cocktail that I found in the March 2010 Food Network Magazine.  I tweaked the recipe a little bit to suit my own taste and everyone loved it.  It also made a great dip for chips and the chicken quesadillas. P.S. My kids didn't eat this one...I made it spicy.

Shrimp Tomatillo Cocktail

For the Shrimp
Kosher Salt
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp black peppercorns
2 lemons, quartered
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

For the sauce
12 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
3 cloves of garlic
3 jalapeno peppers
3 tbsp canola oil
Kosher salt and ground pepper
2 cups fresh spinach
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 horseradish ( or less...to your taste)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp honey

Prepare the shrimp: Combine 8 cups cold water, 2 tablespoons salt, the coriander and peppercorns in a large pan. Squeeze in the lemon juice and throw in the wedges. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat, add the shrimp, cover and set aside, 15 minutes. Strain and transfer the shrimp to a bowl; cover and chill at least 1 hour.

The sauce should be made in several hours in advance so that the flavors can blend: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos in a roasting pan. Toss with the canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft, tossing occasionally, 25 to 35 minutes. Warning: the smell from the oven will bring everyone to the kitchen.  Have a snack prepared!

Cook the spinach in a saucepan of boiling water, about 1 minute. Drain, squeeze dry and transfer to a food processor. Add the tomatillo mixture, vinegar, horseradish, cilantro and honey and pulse until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill at least 1 hour. Bring to room temperature 15 minutes before serving. Serve the sauce and shrimp in shot glasses or martini glasses.


Those who comment on this post and SUBSCRIBE to The Rookie Foodie are in the running for a Starbucks Gift Card.

10 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum! I have made 3 of PW's dishes in the last week, and was planning on making the Quesadillas de Camarones tonight! I was getting so tired of making the same dinners night after night. It's so much fun trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. That shrimp cocktail sounds SOOOO good!! I want to come to your house for dinner.
    Subscribing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madaline is always in the kitchen with me. So much so, that its odd to make things and not have her help pour, stir, mix & help make a mess.

    I've been printing off recipes from PW's site for a while now. I just need to rotate them into my weekly meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY!! I want to try both of those. I just copies and pasted the recipes into a word doc so I can print and save! Thanks!

    I'm following and just subscribed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those recipes look GREAT!! And the kids were totally cool with them??

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome little helper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, she is too cute helping you! She has great hand/eye coordination for her age! Those recipes look yummy! I love the Pioneer Women's recipe, but I'm thinking I gain about 5 pounds just reading her recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely recipe. I wish I had that cookbook, we've checked it out at the library a couple of times. M is a such a great helper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK...so I'm not sure how I missed you have a food blog and I'll have you know that I've NEVER subscribed to anyone's page before so you should feel LUCKY! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a fellow foodie, I love your blog. Been a long subscriber to your other blog and just found this one. Can't believe I've been missing out for so long!

    ReplyDelete