Thursday, June 2, 2011

Easy Kale Salad

I want to like Kale. It's only $1.29 a bunch and when cut up....makes a large amount of greens. Once you get past the fact that Kale kind of looks like a weed...you find that it's very nutritious and has anti-inflammatory powers. Kale is high in beta carotene, Vitamin K, Vitamin C and Calcium.

Kale can block the growth of cancer cells! My husband is always afraid that he's getting cancer so I plan to make him eat as much Kale as possible.

I found this recipe and thought it sounded really good and since it has apples in it...my kids might eat it. I was right! Everyone liked it. I loved it.  I recommend cutting this recipe in half if you are feeding a family of four.  Unless you want to eat Kale Salad for the next three days.

Kale Salad

Easy Kale Salad
adapted from Irreverent Vegan

1 bunch of kale, chopped
juice of one lemon
1 avocado, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped or crushed
salt and pepper to taste

Put the chopped kale in a large bowl then add the lemon  juice.  Add salt and avocado pieces.  Massage mixture together.  The salt and oil in the avocado will soften the kale.  Throw in the apple, walnuts and salt and pepper and toss salad with tongs.  Chill in the fridge for a half hour before serving.

4 comments:

  1. It looks good! My kids wouldn't eat it. For that matter, my hubby might give me a problem too... lol! Although, the only way to find out for sure would be to make it!

    Got any good ideas for asparagus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy. I bet my family would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. REally? Hmm. I guess you kind of have to like any salad that needs a massage, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely have to try this recipe! My oldest son loves greens!

    ReplyDelete