Monday, September 13, 2010

Sketch Wine Bar

I turned 40 years old on Saturday. My husband bought us tickets to the opening night performance of Dead Man's Cell Phone at the Curious Theater and when I was looking for places to grab a bite to eat beforehand...Sketch Wine Bar came up.  Located in the Baker Historic Neighborhood of Denver, Sketch is a fun little neighborhood bar with a small patio.



It sounded like the perfect place because it's a wine bar that serves cheese and sliced meats and I love cheese. When we arrived we discovered that it was happy hour and it lasted until 7pm! Awesome!



After spending 4 years in Utah behind the Zion curtain...it felt naughty to sit in front of this wall of wine.  I adjusted and enjoyed discovering a new favorite wine with the help of Ben who gave me a sip of a couple choices to pick from.  I decided on Layer Cake Shiraz which seemed appropriate for my birthday and my husband tried both the red and white Sangria.  Just a note here to let you know that after the second glass of Magic Sangria...my husband agreed to take me to Italy.  If you want something from you husband...take him to Sketch for a couple drinks!


They have a nice little seating area but we sat a the bar.  We loved the simple lines and color scheme.  It feels classy and special without feeling stuffy.  And the staff made us feel like we were regulars.

We tried two kinds of meat.  We loved both of them...but I really liked the taste of the capers with the Caropccio of Beef. And those skinny bread sticks are a great accompaniment.

Jamon Serrano
Carpaccio of Beef*
Carpaccio of Beef
We ended up trying all of the cheeses that they had available that night and our favorites have a * next to them.  The Delice De Argental was so creamy and buttery!  I can't wait to try and it find it at one of the local cheese stores.

Manchego El Toboso from Spain
Aspen Ash Goats Milk from Longmont Co
Bleu De Lacquein from France*
Roomano Pradera from Holland
Delice De Argental from Bourgogne, France*
Lamborn Bloomers Goats Milk from Basalt Co
Sheep Riccota from California*
Vella Dry Jack from Sonoma California


Bleu Cheese

Delice De Argental

Sketch Wine Bar ended up being the perfect way to begin our evening and we wish we had a hip, neighborhood bar like this near our home.

Sketch is also open for breakfast and makes a great cup of espresso according to the tattooed woman that sat next to me at the bar that didn't know what a sister wife was.  Also, Wednesday is Wino night with Happy Hour all day long and a DJ playing at 9pm.


Sketch Wine Bar
11 W. 1st Ave
Denver, CO 80223
303.484.9305


Sketch on Facebook
Sketch on Twitter

Sketch on Urbanspoon

1 comment: