Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Summer Salads

I'm reading The Omni Diet and it made me realize that part of my problem with trying to lose weight is that I'm not eating enough vegetables.  The book recommends 30% protein and 70% veggies.  I've got some adjustments to make!

Yesterday, iKeith smoked and grilled ribs.  He smokes them first for about 6 hours on a low heat and then finishes them on the grill.  They are amazing!

I decided that we needed TWO veggie dishes and that I needed to use some of my fresh herbs that I planted recently.  A little goggling revealed that Mint and Zucchini go really well together.



Zucchini and Mint Salad

3 medium Zucchini, sliced thinly
10 Mint leaves, chiffonade
1.5 tablespoons Olive Oil
Zest from Lemon
Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
Salt

Thinly slice the Zucchini using a knife or a mandolin.  Roll the mint leaves into a cylinder and slice thinly into little strips. Put the Zucchini and Mint into a bowl and add the olive oil, mix.  Zest a lemon into the bowl, then cut it in half and squeeze the juice from one half into the bowl.  Salt to taste.

Tomato and Basil Salad

1 Container of Cherry Tomatoes, halved
10-15 Basil Leaves, chiffonade
1.5 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt

Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and put them in a serving bowl.  Roll the basil leaves cylinder and slice thinly into little strips.  Add the basil to the bowl and add the olive oil and salt to taste. Serve to your hungry family.  Kids love this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment