Friday, January 27, 2012

Eye of Round with Horseradish Cream

I've been trying to be good and eat little to no gluten. It's been tough! I should have never had the gluten free for all that was December. Getting back on track has been a little bit easier with a couple great recipes that I've found recently.

This is a new favorite!

I recommend using a Programmable Probe Thermometer.  You can also find them at Target with the kitchen gadgets.  The original recipe said to leave in the turned off oven for 2 hours....but because I was using the thermometer, I knew my roast was ready after only 35 minutes.




Eye of Round with Horseradish Cream
adapted from My Recipes

1 package of cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (4 pound) eye of round roast
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine the cream cheese, horseradish and mustard.  Stir until smooth, cover and chill.

Combine wine and butter in large bowl or a zip lock bag.  Add the roast.  Cover the bowl with a lid or saran wrap and chill for 24 hours, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Remove roast from the marinade and discard the marinade. Place the roast in a foil lined 13 X 9 pan.  Combine the salt, pepper and garlic powder in bowl, then rub on the roast.

Bake uncovered at 500 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  Turn the oven off and do not open the door until your roast reaches 145 degrees (for medium rare) or 160 degrees (for medium).  This can take up to 2 hours but my roast only took 35 minutes.

Thinly slice meat, reserving pan juices and serve with horseradish cream.

1 comment: