Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows

Hey Everyone....and Shawn and Impulsive Addict.






You all really know me as Connie from The Young and The Relentless but today....I'm going to show another side of myself. My Martha Stewart inspired self. Except that bitch sometimes steers me a stray.

Several years ago, I tried her recipe for Marshmallows and it was a huge flop! I rarely have disasters in the kitchen but that was a huge one and it banged up my ego.

Two years ago, I was supposed to drive to the wilds of Utah to learn to make Marshmallows. I was so excited because I was going to be able to right a wrong.

Then if snowed. A LOT!

I was unable to attend Marshmallow Making 101 with Prairie Mama (also known as Kim).

So last week, I find myself in a meeting to plan my son's Kindergarten Winter Party and all of a sudden, my mouth is telling them that I will make homemade Marshmallows. My hand tried to cover my mouth but it was too late.

I raced home from this meeting and started searching for Kim's recipe and decided to make a test batch on Sunday to make sure that I could make them and not a fool of myself.

I think they turned out pretty great!


Homemade EASY Marshmallows
adapted from Brownie Points Blog

4 envelopes of gelatin
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Vanilla
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
Confectioners Sugar

Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper (or wax paper).  Spray the paper with non-stick spray.

For the recipe you MUST have a stand mixer and a whisk attachment.  In the mixing bowl, combine the water (3/4 cup) with the vanilla  and then sprinkle the gelatin over...do not dump the gelatin in.

Heat a saucepan over medium high heat and add the sugar, salt, corn syrup and other 3/4 cup of water.  Bring to a boil with the lid on and without stirring it.  When the mixture is boiling, remove the lid and stick your candy thermometer on the pan and cook until it reaches the soft ball stage, 234-240 F.

With the mixer at medium speed, pour all of the syrup slowly into the mixing bowl.  The syrup is very hot so be careful!  When all of the syrup has been added....increase the speed to HIGH!  Warning: Your mixer will sound like it's about to take off and you might think it's a bout to break. 

Whip this mixture until it is very fluffy and stiff.  This will take 8-10 minutes and will go by quickly because you're worried that your mixer is about to launch itself out the window. Pour the marshmallow into the waiting pan and smooth with an oiled up offset spatula.  This mixture now has to sit, uncovered at room temperture, taunting your family for 10-12 hours.

When you are ready to cut your marshmallows, sprinkle a generous amount of confectioners sugar (also known as powdered sugar) over the marshmallows.  Turn the slab out onto a cutting board, peel off the paper and sprinkly more sugar. Slice with a pizza cutter or a meat cleaver.  The meat cleaver worked great for me!  You can also use cookie cutters to make fun shapes. After cutting, dip the pieces in sugar and then tap off the excess.

This make a TON of marshmallows and will keep  for several weeks in an airtight container.

Tips before making Marshmallows:

Make sure that your children are either entertained, or duct taped to the couch before starting this. You will not be able to leave the kitchen and if they start streaking around your home...you can't stop them.

Make sure you have used the restroom before starting this recipe because of the same reason above.

Realize that you will have powdered sugar everywhere.

Be prepared to threaten family members with their life if they touch your curing marshmallows before they are ready.

10 comments:

  1. Do these taste different from store bought??

    I really need a stand mixer!!! Maybe Santa will bring me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same question as Nadine. I could TOTALLY make these but is it worth the trouble? I suddenly have a craving for hot chocolate and marshmallows....

    Thanks for linking up with us! We ♥ you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had homemade marshmallows! Maybe one day I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suddenly, I have a craving for a big old mug of hot cocoa with one of those marshmallows in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am beyond impressed and now I must try making these myself for all of the s'more making that will be happening in the backyard now that it's a little cooler at night.

    You rock Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna say this and you can't laugh.
    I didn't even know it was possible to make your own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking the exact same thing as Mimi..."I didn't even know it was possible..."

    I want a stand mixer SO BAD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - I can't believe you actually made those!!!!!!!

    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY, Connie!! I've read in another recipe that you can use a hand mixer BUT it takes almost 20 minutes to get to the right stage. If you want it badly enough, go for it!!!! :o)

    And for those who haven't had homemade marshmallows, you are missing out!!! They are totally worth it! You can add vanilla beans ... cinnamon ... nutmeg ... any flavorings (just adding some cinnamon is my favorite!). I made chocolate ones last year and wasn't very impressed. I think I'll sick with plain marshmallows and maybe just dip in chocolate this year!! :o)

    ReplyDelete